In this post I have tried to capture all the steps involved in Windows Virtual Desktop Deployment
- Provision a Virtual Machine for Image
- Image Preparation (Teams, FSLogix & Optimization)
- Shared Image Gallery
- Image versioning
- Creating a Host Pool
- Managing User assignments
- GPO Configuration
Provision a Virtual Machine for Image
Microsoft Teams on Windows Virtual Desktop supports chat and collaboration. With media optimizations, it also supports calling and meeting functionality. To learn more about Microsoft Teams in Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) environments, see Teams for Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure.
AV Redirection with media optimization (WebRTC) client for Microsoft Teams is now available for the Windows Desktop on Windows 10 machines.
Key benefits of this new Teams WebRTC optimizations are:
- High-performance peer-to-peer streaming facilitated by WebRTC – as listed below traffic will flow p2p and rendered via the endpoint
- Devices will be redirected as same hardware device – better hardware redirection support
- On Windows 10 clients, all the benefits of the modern media stack including HW video decoding
- Support for Windows 10 single and multi-session in conjunction with Windows Virtual Desktop.
Media optimization for Microsoft Teams is only available for the Windows Desktop client on Windows 10 machines. Media optimizations require Windows Desktop client version 1.2.1026.0 or later
Create the following registry key in the image
Download links below….
Install Teams App
Run this command to install
Teams_windows_x64.msi /l*v ALLUSERS=1 ALLUSER=1
Install the WebRTC – Teams WebSocket Optimizations client in your WVD image
Note: When you run into installation issues, please make sure to install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable below and try the WebRTC installation again.
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable x64: vc_redist.x64.exe
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable x86: vc_redist.x86.exe
Desktop Optimization Tool
The (Windows) Virtual Desktop Optimization Tool disables services in the operating system that you most likely won’t need for your Windows Virtual Desktop session host.
In this example I have disabled few services and tested the tool. Please follow the steps below remember to Edit the JSON file before running the script
Optional Image Optimization
To Download FSLOGIX https://aka.ms/fslogix_download
Run the FSLogix AppSetup
Shared Image Gallery
In the below option you can either choose Share image to Shared Image Gallery or No. IN this example I am selecting Yes, Share it to a gallery as an Image version as in the previous step I have created the shared image gallery.
Create a image definition as requried
Versioning of the image, End life date, Replicas count
Creating Host Pool
Validation host pool allows you to test service changes before they are deployed to production. In this example since I am using this for demo I have selected YES
• Breadth-first load balancing allows to evenly distribute user sessions across the session hosts in a host pool.
• Depth-first load balancing allows you to saturate a session host with user sessions in a host pool. Once the first session reaches its session limit threshold, the load balancer directs any new user connections to the next session host in the host pool until it reaches its limit, and so on.
In this post I have chosen Bread first Type
For more details refer https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-desktop/host-pool-load-balancing
Next step is to select number of virtual machine,Size and the image.
Here choose the image which we have created earlier and added in the shared image gallery as shown below
I have mentioned an OU where there are no policies which can affect my deployment related to proxy or etc… So once the deployment is successful we can move the objects to respective OU with the policesIt depends on your environment and policies!!
If the deployment fails in Join Domain or DSC extension. Check for the error and take the necessary actions to remediateIf you face any problem in deployment comment in this page!!
Change friendly name of host pool and desktop
Custom RDP Properties
TO be continued!! Watch this page for more updates